Countdown

Monday, October 02, 2006

Asthma Attack + Crazy Cat = Pitiful Sleep

As night arrives, I hope that this night will be uneventful, unlike last night. Both of my sons have asthma. Last night around 2:30 am, my 9 yo son, Ryan, entered my bedroom. I heard his wheezing before he had an opportunity to tell me what was wrong. He also had a barking cough, reminiscent of his many previous bouts of croup. I followed him to his nebulizer. He proceeded to set up the nebulizer and begin a breathing treatment. At the end of his nebulizer treatment, his breathing did not seem to have improved. At least, it was not markedly improved. I would expect more from a nebulizer. We returned to my bedroom, where I resolved to do some watchful waiting. I knew he could use his inhaler in a while if his asthma attack didn’t improve. Within the half hour, his breathing quieted down and he was able to sleep, which meant that I was able to sleep too..
That is, until my 7 yo son, Baby Bear, popped into my room. Whining and sniffling, my Baby Bear told me that apparently the cat was mistaking him for a scratching post. Hmmm.. I’m not sure what is going on there. The cat he was referring to is declawed. But, anyway, Baby Bear climbed into my bed between his brother and me. Now, if you have ever tried to get a decent night’s sleep while sharing a bed with two children, then you won’t be surprised to hear that I woke up about as exhausted as I was when I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment